Most Popular PagesBus Schedules
GIS & Maps
Parks and Recreation
Quick LinksCity Budget
City Manager's Reports
Daily Crime Reports
Special Events Planning
Going to the River
How to Use Our Site
Search Our Site
Building and Development Services
New Construction/Additions - Non-Residential
The Following Information is Required for all Building Permit Applications for New Non-Residential Construction
- A complete application listing all contractors including all licensing information.
- An Approved site plan
- The estimated value of construction (materials and labor) for the work covered by this permit.
- The name and address of any Mechanics Lien Agent involved with this project.
- Three sets of complete building plans showing:
- The "Use Group(s)" classification of this building.
- The "Type of Construction" to be used in this building.
- The total height of the building and the size (sq. ft.) of each floor.
- The proposed occupant loads for each area of this building, and the total proposed occupant load per floor.
- Indicate if the building will be equipped with a full fire suppression system and or fire alarm and detection system.
- The location and size of all exits.
- All design load information including the snow, wind, live and dead loads used in the design.
- The size, (thickness and width), depth and locations of all footings.
- The amount of unbalanced fill around the foundation walls.
- If a crawlspace is to be used, show locations of all vents, access doors, and the height of the crawl space.
- Wall construction details including stud size and spacing, window and door header details, and exterior wall covering.
- Provide "Design numbers, and Fire resistance ratings" of all tenant separation walls, fire walls, exit enclosures, floor/ceiling assemblies and other assemblies required to be fire rated by the code.
- Floor construction details including size, span, spacing and wood species of all floor girders, floor joist, and subfloor. Details of slabs on grade if applicable.
- Roofing details, including the size, span, spacing, slop and wood species of all rafters. If engineered roof trusses are to be used, indicate this and the plans.
- Provide Sealed design information for all engineered structural components
- Riser height, tread depth and handrail information for all stairs.
- Locations and number of plumbing fixtures for all bathrooms.
- Location of all fuel burning appliances and electric panels.
- Structural details of all decks, and accessory buildings.
- Accessibility details (All structures shall be designed and constructed in compliance with the current codes).
- All plans must include the name, address and occupation of the person who prepared the plans.
Some plans may be required to be sealed by a Virginia licensed architect or engineer.
General InformationOffice Location/Hours
Building InspectionsBuilding Codes
Third Party Inspections
General & Administrative
A & E Charts
Site DevelopmentSite Development
Preliminary Plan Meeting
Site Plan Submission
Site Plan Review/Approval
Chesapeake Bay Act
Design Standards Manual
ApplicationsCertificate of Occupancy
2009 Code ChangesIRC
IBC, VA Construction
IBC Chapters 7, 10, 11
USBC Chapter 1