Most Popular PagesBus Schedules
GIS & Maps
Parks and Recreation
Quick LinksCity Budget
City Manager's Reports
Daily Crime Reports
Special Events Planning
Going to the River
How to Use Our Site
Search Our Site
Commissioner of the Revenue
Information for New Businesses
Congratulation on your new business venture! Below is a checklist to assist you in complying with all of the requirements of the City of Fredericksburg.
1. Obtain zoning approval for your new business (even if it is a home-based business).
2. Obtain an occupancy permit for your new business.
3. Obtain appropriate licenses from Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation, if necessary.
4. Register your fictitious name with the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
5. Obtain a business license (contractors click here) for your new business from the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue for the City of Fredericksburg. Please note that a separate license is required for each business, even if they are occupying offices along with another licensed business.
6. Register for any special use, flat rate business tax, if applicable.
8. If you intend to sell mixed beverages, wine or alcohol, obtain the necessary approval from the Virginia Department of Alcohol Beverage Control.
9. If you intend to sell tobacco, verify that all cigarettes available for sale have the City of Fredericksburg cigarette tax stamp affixed. If cigarettes are purchased from Costco, you must request that Costco affix the proper tax stamps for you.
Feel free to contact this office with any questions you may have.
General InformationOffice Location/Hours
Current Tax Rates
State Income Tax
Tax Exempt Business
Event Umbrella License
Amend. Business License
Personal Property TaxesBusiness
Business - Form
Tax Relief InfoTax Relief Act
Rehab Tax Credit
Real Estate TaxesTax Rate
Rehab Tax Credit
Local Option TaxesAdmissions