Motts Run Reservoir Recreation Area
Location: 6600 River Rd, Fredericksburg, VA 22407
April 1 - October 31 - Thursdays through Mondays, 7:00am - 7:00pm
Reservoir is closed on Tuesdays - Wednesdays
General Park Policy
This lovely oasis within easy reach of town provides a multitude of recreational opportunities. The 860-acre natural area, including the 160-acre reservoir, is a haven for fishing, canoeing, hiking, biking, and picnicking. It also serves the residents of Fredericksburg and parts of Spotsylvania County with drinking water.
If the weather is questionable, call (540) 786-8989 before coming. As a cost saving measure, when the weather is bad we reserve the right to close the reservoir early.
The website will not be updated for non-routine park closings. To receive these updates please sign up for our alerts.
- The park features an orienteering course, nature center (open weekend afternoons only), over 4 miles of hiking trails, over 11 miles of biking trails, picnic tables and grills, and jon boat, canoe, and kayak rentals. (SUPs are not permitted on the reservoir.) A bike repair station is also located along the biking trail.
- Boats are reserved on a first come, first served basis at the reservoir. If you need a large number of boats with your rental, please indicate how many but they must be rented in person as available.
- No swimming, SUPs, horseback riding, or all-terrain vehicles permitted. Mountain biking is allowed only on designated trails.
You may bring your own boat (ELECTRIC MOTORS ONLY) to launch on the lake, or fish from the banks. Handicap fishing pier available. A fee is charged for fishing and boat launching area. Valid fishing license required. Bait available for purchase.
The Trail System currently has 11.5 miles of biking and hiking trail (multi-use trail) and 4 miles of hiking only trail. The bike trail can be ridden by all skill levels and ages.
- Motts Run Orienteering Trails - Important Information PDF
Trail Map and GPS Support:
Would you like to use the Motts Run Reservoir Trail of Hiking and Biking GEO Map on your phone AND see where you are on the map in real-time? If your answer is yes download the free Avenza Maps app from the app store on your phone. Avenza Maps® is a FREE mobile map app that allows you to download maps for offline use on iOS or Android smartphone or tablet. Use your device’s built-in GPS to track your location on any map, plot locations and photos, measure distance and area, and more. Simply search for Avenza, Get the app, download the map below, and see where you are on the map in real-time!!
For more information on Motts Biking Trails, please visit FredTrails.org.
Located in the Motts Run Reservoir Recreation Area. Open Saturday and Sundays, April-October, Noon-5:00pm. Manned by volunteers, this beautiful one-room log cabin features hands-on nature displays, our resident snakes, “Pocket” and "Red." and information that the whole family will enjoy. Looking for a fun family day? Visit our Nature Center and then head off on one of the hiking trails or grab a picnic table for your family lunch. Please contact Mackenzie Guenther: firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering.
- ADA Accessible Fishing
- Bike Trail
- Canoe and Kayak Rental
- Hiking Trails
- Jon Boat Rental
- Nature Center
- Orienteering Course
- Picnic Shelter, Picnic Tables and Grills
- Porta Johns
- Restrooms @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>