Renaming Jefferson Davis Highway to Emancipation Highway
After 99 years, Virginia’s Jefferson Davis Highway is to be renamed Emancipation Highway in the City of Fredericksburg. By January 1, 2022, the century-old name of Jefferson Davis Highway is to be removed from U.S. Route 1 statewide.
Why is the highway name being changed? On July 14, 2020 City Council passed a Resolution 20-57 in which they urged Virginia General Assembly to remove the name Jefferson Davis Highway from U.S. Route 1 statewide and replace it with a name that promotes our shared values of unity, equality, and a commitment to a better future for all Americans. HB 2075, renaming certain sections of Jefferson Davis Highway, was signed into law on March 30, 2021 with an effective date of January 1, 2022.
The portion of Route 1 within the City of Fredericksburg boundaries will be updated with new signage by our Fredericksburg Public Works staff and this road signage work is expected to take several weeks. Additionally, several City departments are working to update a number of systems to accommodate new address information, while preserving the current address data. This transition is expected to take several months.
The following information is for residents, businesses and property owners who have a Jefferson Davis Highway address with the zip code 22401.
Changing Your Property Address
The City of Fredericksburg staff will be overseeing updates for Jefferson Davis Highway 22401 addresses for the following services. The updates on this list below will happen automatically without needing action from you:
- Emergency (911)
- Water and trash/recycling utility bill accounts
- Personal property tax accounts
- Real estate tax accounts
- Business license accounts
- Animal license accounts
Property Address Table – Coming soon
City staff is preparing a table to look up your current address and confirm the new property address that has been assigned. The link to the table will be made available here in the near future.
Recommended Actions for Residents, Businesses and Property Owners
Information on City-assigned addresses, including how street signs and address numbers must be posted, can be found in these two documents:
These are recommended actions for you (or your tenant) to take:
- Post Office. Coordinate the address change with the Post Office. The Post Office will forward mail for up to one year following an address change. Please contact your local Post Office with mail delivery questions, or visit their website at usa.gov/post-office and follow the “Change Your Address” links.
- Voter Registration. Update your address with the Fredericksburg Voter Registrar.
- Department of Motor Vehicles. Update your address with the Department of Motor Vehicles. This can be performed online, without an appointment.
- Social Security. Update your address with the Social Security Administration (as applicable).
- Business. Update your address on all business documents (as applicable).
- Other. Update your address with financial institutions, utility companies, and subscriptions. The Post Office won’t forward financial documents and it’s important that you contact your financial institutions with your address change information.
Business Address Expense Grants
City Council is reviewing on September 28th proposed expense reimbursement grants. Please check back for more information.
Are you a business, organization or non-profit who provides services to those located along Jefferson Davis Highway in 22401? The City will be transitioning the highway name within the 22401 boundaries. Recommendations:
- Review and update the name change on your organization’s website and written materials
- Review your customer/user databases per the address lookup table above (table will be available soon)
If you need assistance we are happy to provide information on the City’s processes. Please contact our Public Information Officer, Sonja Cantu by email email@example.com or by calling 540-372-1010.
- Is an address change with the USPS a free service? Yes, it is a free service. If the online site you are using is asking for a payment, you are on a private business site. Please redirect yourself to the USPS with this link.
- How long will the USPS forward my mail? Mail sent to your old address will be forwarded to the new address for a certain amount of time, depending on the mail class. Please note that your change-of-address order does not automatically update any state or personal records. You’re responsible for updating your Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), voter registration, and banking information. Read more here. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
For more information
If you have any additional questions about how this address change will affect your property or business please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540-372-1010 with any questions.