Historic Renwick Complex
Renwick Complex Working Group
The Renwick Complex Working Group was created by action of Fredericksburg City Council on June 13, 2023. Since then, the Working Group has met in July, August and September, with additional meetings planned in October and November. The group plans to make a recommendation about future steps to City Council at its December 12, 2023 meeting.
Working Group Update:
Much of the discussion thus far has focused on the City retaining ownership of the space, and working with a partner to operate it. That could include an event/performing space being created in the former courtroom of the 19th-century Renwick Courthouse, which was designed by renowned architect James Renwick and is located at 815 Princess Anne Street in downtown Fredericksburg.
The City has been assisted in the effort by Norfolk-based Commonwealth Preservation Group, which was hired to lead the discussion. The members of the Working Group are:
- Paige Pollard, Consultant
- Matt Kelly, City Council
- Jon Gerlach, City Council
- Eric Mink, National Park Service
- Beth Black, Economic Development Authority
- Danae Peckler, Historic Fredericksburg Foundation Inc.
- Kelly Penick, Architectural Review Board
- Christine Henry, University of Mary Washington
- Jon Van Zandt, Historic Preservation Contractor
- Melissa Colombo, Fredericksburg Main Street
- Melanie Johnson, Fredericksburg Arts Commission
- Philip Pierce, Banker
- Tim Baroody, City Manager
- Bill Freehling, City Staff
- Kate S. Schwartz, City Staff
- Ray Regan, City Staff
- M.C. Morris, City Staff
Meetings of the Working Group are open to the public. The next one is planned for the afternoon of Thursday, October 26 on the second floor of City Hall (715 Princess Anne Street in downtown Fredericksburg).
Related Documents on Renwick Complex
- Res23-48 Creating the Renwick Complex Working Group and Appointing Members
- Ord17-18 - Temporary Leasing a Portion of the Renwick Courthouse to St. George's Episcopal Church
- Renwick - 11-7-19 public forum presentation (PDF)
- Renwick Courthouse, Wallace Library, and Old Jail HSR Feb_2016
- Request for Proposal - Historic Renwick Courthouse Structure Report - Apr_2015
- Res15-65 - Awarding The Contract For A Historic Structures Report For The Renwick Court Building, The Old Jail, And The Wallace Library
- Notice To All Proposers And RFI - July_2013
- PPEA Evaluation & Selection - RFI Stage September 13, 2011