Commissioner of the Revenue
City Commissioner of the Revenue Announces New Hours
Term & Duties
The commissioner of the revenue is elected by the citizens of the city and serves a four-year term at the pleasure of the voters. The commissioner is the chief assessing officer for those taxes prescribed by state law and local ordinance.
- Oversees the appraisal and assessment of all real property in the city,
- Administers the city's real estate tax relief program and land use program
- Assesses individual and business personal property
- Issues business licenses
- Administers local taxes on meals, lodging, admissions, cigarettes, utility services, and mobile communications.
The mission of the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue is to serve those who live, work, and do business in the City of Fredericksburg by:
- Fairly and equitably identifying and assessing all sources of revenue to which the city is entitled according to the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the City of Fredericksburg
- Providing citizens with accurate and useful information concerning revenue assessments
- Providing city officials with precise and constructive information from which decisions can be made to best serve the citizens and businesses of the City of Fredericksburg
- Diligently and conscientiously maintaining all records in real estate, personal property, state income tax, and business taxes
- Safeguarding the personal financial records entrusted to our care
- Providing citizens with the level of service they expect and deserve through courtesy, respect, and open and honest communication.
A primary goal in the performance of our duties is to give the utmost in service and assistance to individuals at the local level. The purpose of this site is to provide information and answer your questions. As you explore these pages, we welcome any questions, comments, or suggestions which you might have.