State Income Tax
The filing deadline for Virginia income tax returns is May 1.
Virginia Tax Refund Debit Card
If you do not use direct deposit, your income tax refund will be issued on a prepaid debit card instead of a paper check. If you do not select direct deposit when you file your return, you will receive a debit card.
The Commonwealth of Virginia imposes an income tax on any person who has maintained a residence in Virginia for more than 183 days. The City of Fredericksburg's Commissioner of the Revenue's office provides Virginia Income Tax assistance and tax return preparation for city residents free of charge.
Filing with the City of Fredericksburg Commissioner of the Revenue has the following advantages:
- Free preparation of your individual Virginia income tax return: If you would like to have your Virginia income tax return prepared, please make an appointment by calling our office at 540-372-1004. For your appointment, please bring a complete copy of your finalized federal income tax return (Form 1040EZ, 1040A, or 1040 with all applicable schedules) along with all W-2s and/or 1099s you received.
- Processing of accelerated refunds: If you qualify for an accelerated refund, our staff will transmit the information from your return online directly to the Department of Taxation. If the information is within the department guidelines, you should receive your refund within 7 to 10 days of the processing date.
- Local customer service: This alleviates long distance calls to Richmond and correspondence from Virginia Department of Taxation months after filing. Our tax specialist will correct errors and omissions locally resulting in a faster refund.
- Lower taxes: Our tax specialist will review your return for tax savings changes and help you to amend your return, if necessary.
Our tax specialist can also help you throughout the year with questions about your taxes, checking the status of your refund, resolving state tax issues and changing your address.
Individual Form 760 and Instructions are available on the Virginia Department of Taxation website.
Estimated Tax Information
The state income tax specialist also handles estimated tax payments. Form 760ES Voucher 1 should be sent to the commissioner's office by May 1.
The first estimated tax payment for Virginia income tax is due May 1. Please mail the estimated payment to:
- Commissioner of the Revenue
PO Box 644
Fredericksburg VA 22404-0644
The remaining payments should be mailed to:
- Treasurer of the City of Fredericksburg
PO Box 267
Fredericksburg VA 22404-0267
All checks should be made payable to Treasurer, City of Fredericksburg.