News Release: The City of Fredericksburg Treasurer’s Office has prepared corrected personal property bills that will be mailed to taxpayers this week.
(Fredericksburg, VA) October 16, 2019 - The initial personal property tax bills that were received in the mail last week reflected an incorrect balance due,” said Treasurer Brenda Wood. “We’ve corrected that error and have prepared corrected bills that will be mailed by the printer on October 17. Please disregard the first bill - the corrected bill will have a notation on it that it is the corrected bill.” The corrected bills are viewable online now on the City’s website at www.fredericksburgva.gov /Online Payments/Personal Property Payment Option. These corrected personal property tax bills will have a due date of November 15, 2019. However, the Treasurer’s Office will not charge any penalties or interest on the corrected bills if payment is received by Friday, November 22, 2019. Postmarks through that date will be honored as being paid on time. If anyone has any questions about their account balance or current status, please contact the Treasurer’s Office at (540) 372-1001.
The miscalculated personal property tax bills were due to human error and pertain only to the most recent personal property tax bills (with November 15, 2019 due dates) and are not related to the City’s upgrade of financial and utility billing software. Real estate bills are not affected.
The City is happy to announce that we have a new Utility Billing System! Key things to know as we transition to the new system:
- You have been assigned a NEW CUSTOMER NUMBER (find yours on our website here). Don’t forget to update your customer number with your bank if you use their online bill pay to pay your Utility Bill.
- You will also use your new customer number to login to the NEW ONLINE PAYMENT PORTAL now.
- Utility Bill payments can’t be combined with other payments until after we move the rest of the billing types (ex. Personal Property, Real Estate) to the new system. This is currently scheduled to be completed by April 2020.
- Echeck is not a current option for payment but will be phased in soon.
Landfill Fees to increase effective July 1, 2019. Read here for details from the R-Board.
DMV Connect is coming to serve you at 601 Caroline Street, 4th floor, on the 1st Thursday of every month, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. The walk-in services they offer are: Driver's Licenses, Identification Cards (adult & child), Disabled Parking Placards/Plates, Vehicle Titles, Address Changes, Vehicle Registrations, E-Z Pass Transponders, Compliance Summaries, Transcripts and Hunting & Fishing Licenses. Go to Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles for more information.
The Treasurer serves as a constitutional officer and is elected for a four-year term. The primary responsibility of the treasurer is the financial management of all city funds and assuring that they are processed and maintained with proper security and accounting controls in place.
Related responsibilities include:
- follow-up collection efforts concerning delinquent accounts
- maintenance and reconciliation of bank accounts
- investment of idle funds
- collection and transmittal of state funds to the Virginia Department of Taxation
The Fredericksburg City Treasurer's Office is proudly recognized as an accredited office by the Treasures Association of Virginia.
Tell Us How We're Doing
Customer service is important to us and we always want to know how we're doing. Please take a few minutes to fill out this survey. We appreciate your comments.
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
FOIA requests pertaining to the Treasurer's Office may be submitted via email.