Officers of Election are appointed each year by the Fredericksburg City Electoral Board to work at the polls on Election Day.
Who can work at the polls?
- Registered Virginia voters, preferably a City of Fredericksburg resident.
- You don't hold nor work for an elected official.
- Must be available from 5am-9pm or later on election day.
- Enjoy meeting people and serving the public.
- Posses detail-oriented skills, can take direction well and can easily ignore distractions.
What do Officers of Elections do?
- Demonstrating how to mark the ballot
- Setting up equipment
- Checking voters in and marking the voters' list and poll book
- Issuing ballots
- Providing voter assistance and instructions
- Insuring a fair and impartial election is held
- Certifying the election results
- Disassembling and storing the equipment
Is training provided?
Yes. All Election Officers are required to attend a training class prior to each election. Classes are about 2 hours and held by the Electoral Board.
Are Election Officers paid?
Yes. Election Officers are paid $125. Assistant Chief Officers are paid $150. Chief Officers are paid $200. All Officers are paid $25 for the mandatory training class.
Ready to apply? Follow these steps:
1) If you are City resident who is interested in serving please complete, complete this online application to serve as an Officer of Election. It will be sent to the Fredericksburg General Registrar.
Applications will be forwarded to the Fredericksburg City Electoral Board for consideration.
2) If you are selected by the Electoral Board to serve you will be mailed a Notice of Appointment by the Electoral Board.
4) You will take an Oath on the day of your training and prior to serving.
Mailing Address: Director of Elections/General Registrar
601 Caroline Street 500-A
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
Thank you for your interest in becoming an Officer of Election for the City of Fredericksburg.