Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
April is Child Abuse Prevention Month in Virginia. The City of Fredericksburg Protective Services Unit has collaborated with several community partners to increase awareness and to raise funds to further our efforts to prevent child abuse and support families. Throughout the year, DSS’ protective services team provides community education on topics such as mandated reporting and “Safe Sleep” practices for Infants.
Department activities supporting Child Abuse Prevention Month include the following:
• A Child Abuse prevention bulletin board has been created in the DSS lobby with special thanks to Volunteer Ruth Neidomanski and provides information to our residents on healthy child and family practices.
• The front of the DSS building was decorated in blue and pinwheels planted in the front by student volunteers, Jordan Lee and Kyle Critzer. The pinwheel is the symbol for child abuse prevention and is meant to reflect hope, health and happiness of children.
• April 14th - The Protective Services team will hold a bake sale at the 601 Caroline Street building in the morning and at the 608 Jackson Street building in the afternoon. All baked goods are being provided by DSS staff and proceeds benefit the Department’s Safe Sleep Campaign.
• April 24th - Cover a Cruiser Event. DSS will partner with the City of Fredericksburg Sheriff’s Office to raise awareness and money for the Department’s Safe sleep campaign. To date the Department has given out 119 portable cribs.
• During the entire month, raffle tickets will be sold for the chance to win a “Jeans for a Week” Raffle. The lucky employee will pick 5 appropriate days to cash in their jeans voucher to their supervisor in support of Child Abuse Prevention. The drawing will be held the morning of April 24th and proceeds will be go to Safe Harbor Child Advocacy Center and the Department’s Safe Sleep Campaign.