Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Private events held on private property do not need special event applications.
Private events held on public property must complete appropriate rental forms. Size of event may require a special event application. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-372-1086.
Show All Answers
Any organized event of 20 or more persons upon any city street or public sidewalk within the City must submit a special event application. Events that are open to the public, have an attendance of over 100 people and are held within a city park will require a special event application along with a Park Rental Form. See City Parks and Trails. Submission of an application is not a guarantee of approval.• How do I submit a special event application?The special event application can be submitted online here.• When should I apply?Events with the anticipated attendance of 999 or less are required to submit a special event application no later than 60 days in advance to the proposed event date. Events with the anticipated attendance of 1,000 or greater OR requiring a street closure, are required to submit a special event application no later than 120 days in advance to the proposed event date.• What does it cost?There is no charge to submit a special event application though fees may apply for permits, inspections and street closure materials (cones, barricades and No Parking signs). Fees related to special events can be found here..• Will I get an actual permit for my event?Once all required information for the special event application has been received, a permit will be given to the event organizer. This permit is to be available upon request at the event.• Who can I contact if I have questions regarding filling out the special event application?Please contact Kim Herbert at email@example.com or at 540-372-1086 ext. 307.
The City requests all who plan to lawfully assemble in the City of Fredericksburg to apply for an event permit as provided in City Code 66-48. There is NO FEE for this event application and permit. It is a streamlined approach to gather information about your event and help you navigate the City’s requirements to hold a lawful assembly – and to protect your safety. Such events require a 48 hour advance application.
• What is an Expression of Speech Event?An Expression of Speech Event is a spontaneous event that is a time-sensitive public gathering in response to current events, such as a demonstration, protest or rally.
Any gathering of neighbors within a community in the city that wish to close streets for no more than 4 hours must submit a block party permit application.• How do I submit a block party permit application?The block party permit application can be found here.• Do I need barricades for my block party?Any event that will close a city street for any given amount of time will require the event organizer to obtain No Parking signs and City-approved Type 3 Barricades. These barricades can be rented from the Department of Parks, Recreation and Events. All block party organizers are responsible for picking up and returning barricades for their block party. Barricades can be reserved by submitting a Department of Parks, Recreation and Events Equipment Rental Form.• Who can I contact if I have questions regarding filling out the block party permit application?Please contact Kim Herbert at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 540-372-1086 x307.
There is no charge to submit a special event application. Event specific fees & deposits MAY be required as a result of your event application and are based on the size and type of event you wish to host. Event specific fees may include permits, inspections and street closure materials (cones, barricades and No Parking signs). If event specific fees apply, they are to be paid to each individual city department. See Special Event Fees here.
• How do I reserve a city park or trail for my event?The City has several locations that are available for events. Rental information can be found here.• Can I reserve Market Square for my event?The Fredericksburg Area Museum oversees all rentals for Market Square. Rental information can be found here.• Can I reserve Hurkamp Park for my event?Hurkamp Park is home to our popular Fredericksburg Farmers Market. Rentals of Hurkamp Park are not available during Farmers Market hours on Saturdays during April through November between 6:00am - 3:00pm. Additional rental information can be found here.• Is electricity available at the parks?Electricity is available at Alum Springs Park, Hurkamp Park, Old Mill Park and Riverfront Park. Additional fees for electrical use may apply.• What are the guidelines for competitive and non-competitive events on City trails?in order to balance the use of City trails between events and public use, a set of guidelines have been established. Guidelines can be found here.• Can I advertise my walk/run along the trail/path?Signs or posters advertising your run/walk will no longer be allowed to be posted along the trail/path. The Department of Parks, Recreation and Events will be constructing kiosks along the Heritage Trail and Canal Path in which we will post a monthly schedule of runs and walks. To assist with advertising your event, we will gladly place one 8.5”x11” poster in each kiosk. Please drop off your posters at the Dorothy Hart Community Center (408 Canal St.), attention Sammy Walker, at least 1 month prior to your event date. Please DO NOT tape, staple, or hang your posters to the outside of the kiosks. • Who can I contact if I have questions regarding reserving a city park or trail?Please contact the Department of Parks, Recreation and Events at 540-372-1086 x 201.
• Do I need to carry out the trash/recyclables generated from my event?Yes, all event organizers are required to carry out all trash and recyclables generated from your event. All trash cans/recycle bins are to be emptied and new trash bags (provided) in each can/bin. Please leave no trace.
Film crews that will consist of 20 people or more, requesting street closures, setting up large equipment or disrupting daily activity in the City are asked to apply for a film permit by submitting a special event application. Crews that will be requesting street closures, setting up large equipment or disrupting daily activity in the City are also requested to apply for a filming permit. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information. • How do I submit a special event application?The special event application can be submitted online here.
• Can I close a city street or parking lot for my event?A special event application must be submitted for approval. • Do I need to notify the residences or businesses in the event area of my event?For any major event that requires the closure of the public street for four hours or more, the event organizer shall provide notice of the event application to affected businesses and residents. A Notice of Proposed Temporary Street Closure and Opportunity to Comment must be delivered to all businesses and residents within the event area 30 days prior to your event. Please email a copy of this notice to Kimberly Herbert at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to sending out.• Typically, new events requesting a street closure of over 4 hours will only be considered when planned as annual events.
• Do I need to provide a map of the event site or run/walk route?Yes, an event site map or walk /run route map identifying structures, restrooms, vendors, barricades, etc. is required for all special events. Maps can be attached to the special event application or emailed to Sammy Walker at email@example.com. Please no hand-drawn maps.• Is there a mapping tool I can use to make this map?Event Mapping Help Guide.
• What other forms are needed?Please submit a special event application along with an Emergency Plan.Questions regarding the Emergency Plan can be emailed to: JV Skinner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• What other forms are needed?Please submit a special event application along with an Emergency Plan.Questions regarding the Emergency Plan can be emailed to: JV Skinner at email@example.com.• Is your event a large music festival?Events where over 2,000 guests are expected or more than 2,000 tickets are printed may fall under the Musical Festival Ordinance. Additional permits may be required. Please review a copy of the city’s municipal code here.
• What are the regulations for using tents and canopies?For a list of all Rules and Regulations.• My tent will be over 900 square feet, do I need it inspected?Yes, please fill out the Application for Plan Examination and Building Permit and submit to Building and Development Services.The Fire Marshall will also need to inspect the tent. Please contact JV Skinner at firstname.lastname@example.org.• Who can I contact if I have questions regarding tents, canopies, moon bounces or stages?Please contact the Building Services Division at 540-372-1080.
When open to the public Moon Bounce’s, Inflatable Amusement Devices, Climbing Walls, and Stages are subject to permits and inspections in accordance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code. Please fill out the Application for Plan Examination and Building Permit and submit to Building and Development Services 540-372-1080.• Will my moon bounce, inflatable amusement device, climbing wall or stage need to be inspected once it is put up?Yes, please arrange a time for inspection prior to use. Inspection fees may occur. • Who can I contact if I have questions regarding moon bounces, inflatable amusement devices, climbing walls and stages?Please contact the Building Services Division at 540-372-1080.
• Can I serve food at my event?Yes. The City of Fredericksburg Fire Department has Cooking Regulations and a Temporary Activity Permit that must be completed for all food vendors using propane. Please also check with the Rappahannock Health Department for guidelines on catering your event.• How do I contact the Health Department?Individuals, organizations, and/or businesses planning to sell or serve food at a public event in the Rappahannock Health District must apply for a temporary event permit at least ten (10) days prior to the event. Large special events (10 vendors or more) must submit the Temporary Event Coordinators Application to the Local Health Department thirty (30) days prior to the event.Each participating vendor will need to submit a Complete Temporary Event Application to the local Health Department along with the Temporary Event Application fee of $40.More information can be found at: vdh.virginia.gov/rappahannock/services/food-services• Am I allowed to have food trucks at my event?Yes, they are allowed as long as they are attached to an event and have a current inspection from the Fredericksburg Fire Marshall and a City of Fredericksburg business license.• Do my vendors need to have a business license issued by the City of Fredericksburg?Yes. If you are using multiple caterers/vendors you may wish to file for an Organized Event Application. This is for the ORGANIZER of the event, the minimum costs is $50.00 (which covers up to 5 vendors, each vendor thereafter will be $10.00 each up to a maximum of $500.00).The Business License Application is for the vendor that is not being sponsored by the ORGANIZER of the event. The cost for a business license is $25.00.• Is there a meals tax?Yes, the City of Fredericksburg has a 6% meals tax. If any food is to be sold a Meal Tax Registration and Monthly Remittance Form must be completed.All Meals tax that is collected from the consumer by the FOOD VENDOR is due to the COMMISSIONER OF REVENUE’S office, as soon as possible after the event.ALCOHOL – Alcohol sales are treated the same as the MEALS TAX with a 6% tax.• Who can I contact if I have questions regarding licenses or taxes?Sara Seitner, Excise Tax Department phone 540-372-1004 ext 216 or email email@example.com for any questions concerning, Meals or Admissions tax.
• Can I serve alcohol at my event?To serve alcohol at any event you need a permit from Virginia ABC.• Is alcohol allowed in city parks?With appropriate permit, alcoholic beverages are permitted at the following locations: Alum Springs Park, Dorothy Hart Community Center, Hurkamp Park, Maury Park, Old Mill Park, Riverfront Park, and W.L. Harris Park (if authorized by the Mayfield Civic Association). Alcohol IS NOT permitted at the following park locations under any circumstances: Motts Reservoir Park, Memorial Recreation Park, Snowden Playground Dixon Park and Riverside Drive Park.
• If I am using a generator for any type of electricity, do I need to have it inspected?All generators over 20 KW will require a permit and inspections.• Who can I contact if I have questions about using a generator?Please contact Building Services Division at 540-372-1080 ext. 281 or email John Schaffer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• If I am charging admission to my event, is there a tax I need to apply?Yes. If admissions are to be charged to your event, a 6% Admission Tax will apply.An Admissions Tax Registration Form must be completed prior to your event. After the completion of your event a Monthly Remittance Tax Form must be submitted to the Commissioner of Revenue’s office.• Who can I contact if I have questions regarding admission taxes?Sara Seitner, Excise Tax Department phone 540-372-1004 ext 216 or email email@example.com for any questions concerning, Meals or Admissions tax.
Please read City Code 38-36 for specific acts and times prohibited. If you need permission to produce noise that might otherwise be prohibited, please see our Noise Ordinance Waiver Application. Please submit completed Noise Ordinance Waiver Application to Kim Herbert at the Dorothy Hart Community Center located at 408 Canal Street, Fredericksburg. Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Who can I contact if I have questions regarding filling out the noise ordinance waiver application?Please contact Kim Herbert at email@example.com or at 540-372-1086 x307.
• How can I hire police officers for my event?Security may be mandated by the Fredericksburg Police Department for public safety at certain events. Each individual request is reviewed for this need. Some examples include: live concerts, fairs/festivals, dances, large events where alcohol is served/sold, etc. Please see attached Special Event Security Matrix.Requests for police officers for your event can by submitted here.• Can I use a private security service?Security is not necessary at all events. When security is necessary, private security is perfectly appropriate in most circumstances, and encouraged, but some events may require police staffing and/or private security.• Who can I contact if I have questions regarding security at my event?Please email Lieutenant Mike Presutto (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Does the City of Fredericksburg require a Certificate of Insurance for my event?The City’s insurer requires that the City of Fredericksburg be named as an additional insured to the certificate of insurance. Please issue a COI in the amount of $1 million naming the City of Fredericksburg. The address should be P.O. Box 7447, Fredericksburg, VA 22404.• Where can I apply for a Certificate of Insurance?The City of Fredericksburg has enrolled in a program that allows you, the “user” of a municipal facility, school, or other local government property, to secure cost effective liability insurance, which provides protection for you as well as the governmental entity. The Tenant User Liability Insurance Program (TULIP) is a General Liability Policy written in the name of the tenants and/or users of the local government facility or venue. Third-Party Property Damage Coverage is also provided. More information for TULIP can be found here.• Who can I contact if I have questions regarding a Certificate of Insurance?Please contact Kim Herbert at email@example.com or at 540-372-1086 ext. 307.
• Do I need no parking signs or barricades for my event?Any event that will close a city street for any given amount of time will require the event organizer to obtain No Parking signs and Barricades from the Department of Parks, Recreation and Events. The Equipment Rental Form can be found here.• Where can I pick up the signs or barricades?No Parking signs and barricades can be picked up at the Dorothy Hart Community Center at 408 Canal Street, Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM till 8:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM till 4:00 PM.• Who can I contact if I have questions regarding No Parking signs and barricades?Please contact Sammy Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 540-372-1086 ext. 308.
• Do I need to provide restroom facilities for my event?Location, length of event and estimated attendance will determine if restroom facilities are required.• How many port-a-johns will I need?Number of port-a-johns needed will be determined based on type and size of event.• Who can I contact if I have questions regarding restroom facilities?Please contact Kim Herbert at email@example.com or at 540-372-1086 ext. 307.
• Can I rent tables, chairs or other items from the Department of Parks, Recreation and Events?Yes. The Equipment Rental Policies and Form can be found here.• Who can I contact if I have questions regarding renting equipment?Please call the Dorothy Hart Community Center at 540-372-1086 ext. 201.